Employee morale and motivation are key to success in running a 24/7 business.
Not only do 24/7 employees require the normal training in job skills, but they also require training in how to manage the special personal challenges of the shiftwork lifestyle. The place to begin is management and employee training.
In today’s global economy, the importance of workforce training has never been greater. Not only do 24/7 employees require the normal training on job skills, but they also require training in how to manage the special personal challenges of the shiftwork lifestyle. Unfortunately, most shiftworkers do not know how to adjust their lifestyle to minimize the negative effects of working around the clock. As a result, their job performance, safety, health, and family life suffer, and your profits and productivity fall.
However, by providing training on how to manage a shiftwork lifestyle, you can address these issues, and enhance employee relations as well since you are sending a clear message to the employees that you care about their safety, well-being, and quality of life. In fact, research shows that turnover and absenteeism rates are higher in facilities that do not provide shiftwork lifestyle training.
Shiftwork training poses several challenges, including the fact that often in-house trainers do not have the necessary background (knowledge on circadian rhythms, sleep, and fatigue, etc.) to put together a program for managing a shiftwork lifestyle. Moreover, many human resource or training departments are stretched thin to begin with, so it is difficult to keep up with the demands of additional training. Finally, many managers still do not fully realize all challenges that shiftworkers face, and this is reflected in the numerous policies and procedures that make these challenges more difficult. CIRCADIAN® would be happy to help you meet your training objectives.
Employee morale and motivation are key to success in running a 24/7 business. There is a higher proportion of unionized employees in 24/7 industries, and a history of failure to deal with the special issues of shiftwork can lead to longstanding mistrust and grievance. Many studies have shown that increases in job stress and low morale lead to higher rates of absenteeism and turnover as well as lower productivity. Maintaining a positive relationship with any workforce will provide benefits for both the individual shiftworker as well as the operation.
Work & Family Life Balance
Employee morale and motivation are key to success in running a 24/7 business. Recent research has shown that conflicts between work and family life are one of the crucial issues that lead shiftworkers to quit or consider quitting.
Because shiftworkers work outside the normal Monday through Friday daytime hours, their time off duty does not match up with that of their family and friends. In some cases, the amount of time off is perceived to be not enough after taking time for recuperation. Excessive overtime can compound the problem. When the workload is too high for the existing workforce, employees are sometimes required to come in on days off to work overtime, further reducing their ability to have superior quality time off.
How CIRCADIAN® can help you
- Shift Schedule Optimization Program. Develop schedules that improve both operational efficiency as well as maximize employee time off.
- Training and Education. Providing shiftworkers with the support and education they need to face the unique challenges of their schedule will promote a better performing workforce both at home and at work.
- Train the Trainer. Providing the greater flexibility and long–term benefits, CIRCADIAN® can also train your in-house trainers so that they can provide the Managing a Shiftwork Lifestyle to your workforce themselves.
- Training: Managing a Shiftwork Lifestyle. This special training program that provides critical information to help employees deal with the challenges of working shiftwork, especially the night shift. Training includes information on fatigue, alertness, sleep, nutrition, health, family/social life and more.
- Publications for shiftworkers and their managers. For your managers and employees to perform their best, they must have the right information at their fingertips. Whether a monthly newsletter for shiftworkers or a management report on best practices, educating your people will allow them to perform better and be more productive.
- Sleep Disorders Screening Programs. Help shiftworkers identify sleep disorders, improve sleep, and help them find the medical help they need.
- On-site Workshops. CIRCADIAN® has developed several effective on-site seminars that create awareness and understanding of the special challenges of shiftwork.