There’s no reason shiftworkers should have any more aches and pains than dayworkers. The key thing to keep in mind: Be careful and know your limits.
There are a number of strategies that a shiftworker can use to reduce the risk of injury:
1. Follow the ergonomic/operating guidelines that are suggested by your employer and make suggestions if a particular plan is not working.
2. Learn proper lifting techniques. Check out www.mayoclinic.com for examples.
3. Make sleep a priority. Nothing helps rejuvenate the body and mind better than getting enough sleep before showing up to work.
4. Pay attention to the number of hours you work. Be aware of your overtime hours and make sure you give yourself enough rest time.
5. Stay well-hydrated. When you don’t drink enough water, you leave yourself vulnerable to headaches, fatigue and muscle weakness.